Wednesday, June 13, 2007

The Duke Spirit at Spaceland 6/12/07



If you ever buy tickets for Spaceland or The Echo online, you can sign up for a newsletter of upcoming events. Well, you can probably sign up without buying tickets, but that's how I came to receive this surprisingly useful e-mail. On Friday, I was fucking stoked to get the latest edition with the subject line: Echo/Spaceland must see: DIPLO, THE DUKE SPIRIT, BIG BUSINESS + more. All three of those acts sent me into a tizzy. That Friday night, I made it out to the Diplo show at the Echo, which was SICK!! Minus the fact that I kept elbowing people around me while dancing and pissed some other people off when I was trying to get my fat ass on stage to see Diplo spin up close...and personal.



Last night, if you had any taste at all, you would have blown off the novelty act that is the Pipettes at the Troubadour and gone to check out the gig that brought UK's the Duke Spirit out of the Joshua Tree desert, where they'd been recording their new album the last two months, and back to Spaceland. In fact, Liela Moss, their hot blonde minx lead singer, announced they had just finished recording their new record the previous night, which made the experience even cooler because the band seemed pretty jacked to play their new material. They opened with a new song and proceeded to pepper in new shit all night. On iTunes, the reviewer says they sound influenced by PJ Harvey, Patti Smith, and Velvet Underground, which is fine with me. I'd say they play straight forward rhythm and blues rock and roll. These guys do not fuck around. They're loud, abrasive, and lack pretentiousness. Moss is a great singer/front person whose earthly voice and furious tambourine
work mixes well with her band mates intense England brute look that at any given moment they'll put down their instruments to slam a pint and punch you in the face. A show stopper, just like at their gig here last year, was a track off their previous album, Cuts Across The Land, called Love is An Unfamiliar Name, which with its ooh-ooh chorus and guitar thumping crescendos, gives Moss and the rest of the band ample opportunity to melt your fucking face. And don't get the wrong idea when I say Moss is a hot blonde minx because chick can WAIL!!!!!





Fuck, last night was the SHIT!!!

They go back across the pond for a few weeks, but come back stateside on July 22 to play the O.C. Fair at the Pacific Ampitheatre in Costa Mesa, CA with Queens of The Stone Age and Eagles of Death Metal. If you live in Southern California and missed last night's show, I suggest not fucking up this time and getting out to that show.

The Night by the Numbers:
Time Duke Spirit hit the stage: 11:02pm
Number of drinks between H-man, my friend Eddie, and I: 5
Rating of the Hottest Girl I saw: 8
Minimum charge on debit/credit card at Spaceland: $20
Number of songs I said "Holy Fuck" or "Holy Shit" after: 6

PHOTOGRAPHY BY H-MAN

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.